Wednesday, February 20, 2013

2009


The year got off to a good start. I forgot to say Mike loved to fish and those were some of the best times with him. He owned a Bay-liner and he had me paint my name on the side. He said he would be proud to have my name on his boat. I just smiled and did as he said; I wish I had a picture of our boat. Any way, we would go out on Lake Ontario, it was so peaceful, and we would just hang out with each other. One day I saw a monarch butterfly flying over us, I said, "That is so beautiful, what is it doing flying here, there is no land." Mike said they were migrating from Canada; they did it every year. It was so magical.

We got into a rhythm. I would get up with him every morning when he got ready for work. I would make him coffee, get his clothes ready, and talk with him until it was time to go. I would hand him his coffee mug and kiss him good-bye. Then I would hang out with Sapphire, Mikes' dog. She kept me company while I cleaned the house and when I went to the post office she would take the ride. Sapphire was a very special dog; Mike loved her so much.

In March of 2009, my Daddy got very sick and ended up in the hospital. I visited him every day while Mike was at work. I remember the day the doctor told me Daddy had cancer, I just stared at him and went into the room and spent time with my father. Mike came with me the day Daddy was going home. I was leaning over the side of the bed and Daddy asked if he could touch my hair. I said of course and he held the back of my head the way he did when I was a little girl. Mike said that was his way of saying good-bye. On March 24th 2009 my Daddy went to be with God.

Without Mike by my side to help me, I do not think I could have survived the pain I felt. Mike just held me and told me he would be there to take care of me. I loved him so much and I knew he meant every word he ever said to me. Mike helped me through the wake, the funeral, and held me through my tears.

At the beginning of the summer Mikes' youngest daughter moved in with us and his son and his sons' friend also lived with us. We were enjoying our family life. Mike wanted to marry me but we did not have the money or the time, so we went and bought wedding rings to wear to symbolize how much we loved each other... 


No comments:

Post a Comment